Sunday, April 26, 2015

What is rock music again?

What is rock music again?

I know I talk consistently about rock music but I love it and sadly its dying out. I hate to admit but is it and it sucks... bad
Turn on the radio and what do we hear? T Swift's new heartbreak single. Switch it over, we hear a song called trumpets which clearly doesn't even have trumpets in the song. It's a synth, people. Katy Perry has some sort of flame coming from her chest again, Iggy always has an annoying girl to sing her hook. What in the hell happened to good rock music??!? Don't get me wrong, there are some good bands out there still, Sevendust, Hurt, The Pretty Reckless, but a lot of these band members are middle aged men. What happened to the young guys getting together with their buddies, playing Led Zepplin covers in the garage, then writing their own music and trying to make it big? I mean, I'm sure it still happens, but even if they do get picked up by a label, the label usually changes their style to make it radio worthy.
What the hell is radio worth anyway? Some mindless hook that we fall in love with for two days and then can't stand the song. What happened to music with depth. I always say you can tell it's a good album when you listen to the album for weeks straight, don't listen to it for a few months, then hear it again and if feels so good. I say it's like scratching an itch. It just feels so damn good to hear it again, and you're not tired of it. That is good music.
Now, don't get me wrong. I love my fair share if Lady Gaga, and Iggy (not Iggy pop for you true rock fans), but where is the talent? Where is the rawness of rock, good rock music? It's hard to find, and I'm afraid it's dying out. Rap and pop own the radio station. Music awards rarely show real bands, but show Bruno Mars dancing around in funny outfits instead.
I respect all music, but I wish we had a little more fresh rock. The record labels need to back down and let bands be themselves, not what they think the people are going to want.
Until rock makes a comeback, you can find me zoning off listening to Nirvana and Oleander hoping that true rock is on it's way back to the charts. And to all of you who say rock isn't dead, do the research, listen to today's music, and think about what it was like for our parents 30 years ago, and how it compares to our music now. There is a difference.
Rock on, blogger folk!

No comments:

Post a Comment